This is another great recipe to make when having people over for dinner, and like the banoffee pie (Link) I made on the same night this is completely gluten free and my guests had no idea!
I made this mistake of making this after a couple of glasses of wine rather than before so the presentation is not quite my best, the much more sensible approach would have been to make it ahead of time.
Great served with rocket and spinach salad with a balsamic glaze.
- 250g Gluten Free Lasagne Sheets (Link)
- 500g Lean Beef Mince
- 2 Red Onions
- 1 Red Bell Pepper (Optional)
- 2 Cans of Chopped Tomatoes or 1 can and 4 medium to large fresh tomatoes
- 3 tbs Tomato Puree
- 3 Gloves of Garlic
- Handful of fresh Basil Leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 85g Butter
- 85g Gluten Free Plain Flour (I use Doves)
- 1 pt milk
- 300g grated cheese (I used a combination of mozzarella and mature cheddar)
- Heat a wok or large pan and brown the mince, I don’t use oil as I use a non stick pan and the fat from the meat seems to work well enough.
- Chop the onion, pepper, basil and tomatoes if using fresh and pop in with the browned mince.
- Using a garlic press crush the garlic into the wok/pan and mix into the mixture along with the tomato puree, before adding the canned tomatoes and string thoroughly, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whilst you let you Bolognese simmer away now get cracking on the sauce, first melt the butter in a sauce pan.
- Once the butter has fully melted add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until a thick paste is formed this will take a couple of minutes.
- Add the milk to the pan and whisk slowly before bringing the mixture to boil, remembering to stir continuously.
- Once the mixture starts to boil turn the heat right and add half of the cheese and keep stirring the mixture until it starts to thicken and coat the spoon, season with salt and pepper.
- Now in a large oven proof dish start construct your lasagne I do a layer of Bolognese, Sauce, Pasta sheet and continue for 3 layers pouring the remaining sauce and grated cheese on the top.
- Now pop in the fridge or freezer until you want to cook.
- Cook the lasagne in a pre heated oven at 180°c for 45 minutes, add another 45minutes if looking from frozen.