I made these beauties to take into the office for a Movember bake sale, I wanted something that I could eat (and my fellow GF collegues) but that anyone could eat without having a clue it was GF.
This did just that, no one knew they were GF until I told them after they had scoffed them down/ realised I had brought them in.
For the Cookies:
- 1 cup Plain Gluten Free flour (I use Doves)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon GF baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup Golden Caster Sugar
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons almond milk (although most types of milk will work)
- 14 large marshmallows, halved crosswise
For the Frosting:
- 2¼ cups icing sugar
- 4½ tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup hot water
- ¾ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles, for decorating
Making Cookie Dough
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a separate bowl (I used my Kitchenaid) cream together the butter, sugar and peanut butter until light and fluffy, on medium-high speed if using a food mixer for about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and beat until combined.
- Add the vanilla, beat until combined, then scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour & milk.
- Refrigerate the dough until it is firm, about 1 hour.
Making the cookies
- Pre-heat oven 180°C & Line two baking sheets with baking paper (or alternatively just use one and do two batches)
- Scoop out a table spoon of dough and roll into balls (Slightly smaller than ping pong balls) and place on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart, flatten slightly.
- Bake until the edges appear dry, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and press a marshmallow half into the center of each cookie. Return to the oven for 3 more minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a minimum of 5 minutes before transferring onto a plate or to a wire rack to cool completely.
Frosting & Decorating
- Mix together the icing sugar, butter, cocoa powder, water and vanilla extract.
- Once cookies are cooled top with a heaping of frosting.
- Top with sprinkles and let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.
NB:Cookies can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days.