So I needed to make some marzipan to cover my scrumptious looking Christmas cake (Link), this is so easy to make either to cover a cake or to make yummy little marzipan bites which will make lovely little snack to put in lunch boxes, wrapped up to make a nice pressy or put out in a cute bowl for guests (or yourself).
- 175g Golden caster sugar
- 280g Icing sugar
- 450g Ground almonds
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Orange or lemon juice
- 2 Eggs (Beaten)
- 150g Chocolate (Optional)
Note: the above makes enough to cover a 8inch fruit cake and treats, if only wanting to do one or the other half the recipe.
Step by step guide:
2. Either by hand or on a very low setting in a food mixer (I used my dough hook), knead in the wet ingredients
4.Keep the dough wrapped up in cling film in the fridge until you are ready to either make into treats or cover your cake.
Note: It can be kept in the fridge like this for 2-3 days
To cover a cake
2. Roll out the dough to about a 1/4 of an inch.
3. If possible lift the marzipan as a whole on a rolling pin and place over the cake. If like me however and that sort of thing doesn’t come naturally to you can put it together on the cake in pieces and smooth it over the cake.
Note: You need to let the marzipan dry out usually for around a week before icing, however if like me you have left it too late to leave it that long, pat and rub in icing sugar on the now marzipaned cake.
Treats & Cake Toppers
Basically you can be a little bit creative here, I rolled up most of this batch into little balls and dipped into chocolate, super yummy as a little snack, I am also going to decorate the cake with these little chocolate covered balls instead of a ribbon.
You can use cookie cutters too 🙂
If you liked this recipe check out some of my other GF baking ideas:
- GF Toasted Marshmallow, Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cookies
- GF Santa Cookies
- Peanut Butter Fudge (GF)
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes (GF)
- Ameretto & Chocolate Brownie Cake (GF)
For a full list of GF Recipes click here